1. By the rivers in Babylon we sat and criedwhen we remembered Jerusalem.
2. On the poplar trees nearbywe hung our harps.
3. Those who captured us asked us to sing;our enemies wanted happy songs.They said, “Sing us a song about Jerusalem!”
4. But we cannot sing songs about the Lordwhile we are in this foreign country!
5. Jerusalem, if I forget you,let my right hand lose its skill.
6. Let my tongue stick to the roof of my mouthif I do not remember you,if I do not think about Jerusalemas my greatest joy.
7. Lord, remember what the Edomites didon the day Jerusalem fell.They said, “Tear it down!Tear it down to its foundations!”
8. People of Babylon, you will be destroyed.The people who pay you back for what you did to us will be happy.
9. They will grab your babiesand throw them against the rocks.