1. God, why have you rejected us for so long?Why are you angry with us, the sheep of your pasture?
2. Remember the people you bought long ago.You saved us, and we are your very own.After all, you live on Mount Zion.
3. Make your way through these old ruins;the enemy wrecked everything in the Temple.
4. Those who were against you shouted in your meeting placeand raised their flags there.
5. They came with axes raisedas if to cut down a forest of trees.
6. They smashed the carved panelswith their axes and hatchets.
7. They burned your Temple to the ground;they have made the place where you live unclean.
8. They thought, “We will completely crush them!”They burned every place where God was worshiped in the land.
9. We do not see any signs.There are no more prophets,and no one knows how long this will last.
10. God, how much longer will the enemy make fun of you?Will they insult you forever?
11. Why do you hold back your power?Bring your power out in the open and destroy them!
12. God, you have been our king for a long time.You bring salvation to the earth.
13. You split open the sea by your powerand broke the heads of the sea monster.
14. You smashed the heads of the monster Leviathanand gave it to the desert creatures as food.
15. You opened up the springs and streamsand made the flowing rivers run dry.
16. Both the day and the night are yours;you made the sun and the moon.
17. You set all the limits on the earth;you created summer and winter.
18. Lord, remember how the enemy insulted you.Remember how those foolish people made fun of you.
19. Do not give us, your doves, to those wild animals.Never forget your poor people.
20. Remember the agreement you made with us,because violence fills every dark corner of this land.
21. Do not let your suffering people be disgraced.Let the poor and helpless praise you.
22. God, arise and defend yourself.Remember the insults that come from those foolish people all day long.
23. Don’t forget what your enemies said;don’t forget their roar as they rise against you always.