1. This is what the Lord says:Where is your mother’s divorce certificatethat I used to send her away? Or who were My creditors that I sold you to? Look, you were sold for your iniquities, and your mother was put awaybecause of your transgressions.
2. Why was no one there when I came?Why was there no one to answer when I called?Is My hand too short to redeem? Or do I have no power to deliver?Look, I dry up the sea by My rebuke; I turn the rivers into a wilderness;their fish rot because of lack of waterand die of thirst.
3. I dress the heavens in blackand make sackcloth their clothing.
4. The Lord God has given Methe tongue of those who are instructed to know how to sustain the weary with a word.He awakens Me each morning;He awakens My ear to listen like those being instructed.
5. The Lord God has opened My ear,and I was not rebellious;I did not turn back.
6. I gave My back to those who beat Me,and My cheeks to those who tore out My beard.I did not hide My face from scorn and spitting.
7. The Lord God will help Me;therefore I have not been humiliated;therefore I have set My face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame.
8. The One who vindicates Me is near; who will contend with Me?Let us confront each other. Who has a case against Me? Let him come near Me!
9. In truth, the Lord God will help Me;who will condemn Me? Indeed, all of them will wear out like a garment;a moth will devour them.
10. Who among you fears the Lord,listening to the voice of His Servant? Who among you walks in darkness,and has no light?Let him trust in the name of Yahweh;let him lean on his God.
11. Look, all you who kindle a fire,who encircle yourselves with firebrands;walk in the light of your fireand in the firebrands you have lit!This is what you’ll get from My hand:you will lie down in a place of torment.