1. Woe to those enacting crooked statutesand writing oppressive laws
2. to keep the poor from getting a fair trialand to deprive the afflicted among my people of justice, so that widows can be their spoiland they can plunder the fatherless.
3. What will you do on the day of punishmentwhen devastation comes from far away?Who will you run to for help?Where will you leave your wealth?
4. There will be nothing to doexcept crouch among the prisonersor fall among the slain.In all this, His anger is not removed,and His hand is still raised to strike.
5. Woe to Assyria, the rod of My anger —the staff in their hands is My wrath.
6. I will send him against a godless nation;I will command him to goagainst a people destined for My rage,to take spoils, to plunder, and to trample them down like clay in the streets.
7. But this is not what he intends;this is not what he plans.It is his intent to destroyand to cut off many nations.
8. For he says,“Aren’t all my commanders kings?
9. Isn’t Calno like Carchemish?Isn’t Hamath like Arpad?Isn’t Samaria like Damascus?
10. As my hand seized the idolatrous kingdoms,whose idols exceeded those of Jerusalem and Samaria,
11. and as I did to Samaria and its idolswill I not also do to Jerusalem and its idols?”
12. But when the Lord finishes all His work against Mount Zion and Jerusalem, He will say, “I will punish the king of Assyria for his arrogant acts and the proud look in his eyes.”
13. For he said:I have done this by my own strengthand wisdom, for I am clever.I abolished the borders of nationsand plundered their treasures; like a mighty warrior, I subjugated the inhabitants.
14. My hand has reached out, as if into a nest,to seize the wealth of the nations.Like one gathering abandoned eggs,I gathered the whole earth.No wing fluttered;no beak opened or chirped.
15. Does an ax exalt itselfabove the one who chops with it?Does a saw magnify itselfabove the one who saws with it?It would be like a staff waving the one who lifts it!It would be like a rod lifting a man who isn’t wood!
16. Therefore the Lord God of Hostswill inflict an emaciating diseaseon the well-fed of Assyria,and He will kindle a burning fireunder its glory.
17. Israel’s Light will become a fire,and its Holy One, a flame. In one day it will burn up Assyria’s thorns and thistles.
18. He will completely destroythe glory of its forests and orchardsas a sickness consumes a person.
19. The remaining trees of its forestwill be so few in numberthat a child could count them.
20. On that day the remnant of Israel and the survivors of the house of Jacob will no longer depend on the one who struck them, but they will faithfully depend on the Lord, the Holy One of Israel.
21. The remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob,to the Mighty God.
22. Israel, even if your people were as numerousas the sand of the sea,only a remnant of them will return. Destruction has been decreed;justice overflows.
23. For throughout the landthe Lord God of Hostsis carrying out a destruction that was decreed.
24. Therefore, the Lord God of Hosts says this: “My people who dwell in Zion, do not fear Assyria, though he strikes you with a rod and raises his staff over you as the Egyptians did.
25. In just a little while My wrath will be spent and My anger will turn to their destruction.”
26. And the Lord of Hosts will brandish a whip against him as He did when He struck Midian at the rock of Oreb; and He will raise His staff over the sea as He did in Egypt.
27. On that dayhis burden will fall from your shoulders,and his yoke from your neck.The yoke will be broken because of fatness.
28. Assyria has come to Aiathand has gone through Migron,storing his equipment at Michmash.
29. They crossed over at the ford, saying,“We will spend the night at Geba.”The people of Ramah are trembling;those at Gibeah of Saul have fled.
30. Cry aloud, daughter of Gallim!Listen, Laishah!Anathoth is miserable.
31. Madmenah has fled.The inhabitants of Gebim have sought refuge.
32. Today he will stand at Nob,shaking his fist at the mountain of Daughter Zion,the hill of Jerusalem.
33. Look, the Lord God of Hostswill chop off the branches with terrifying power,and the tall trees will be cut down,the high trees felled.
34. He is clearing the thickets of the forest with an ax,and Lebanon with its majesty will fall.