1. The word of the Lord came to me:
2. ‘Son of man, take up a lament concerning Tyre.
3. Say to Tyre, situated at the gateway to the sea, merchant of peoples on many coasts, “This is what the Sovereign Lord says:‘ “You say, Tyre,‘I am perfect in beauty.’
4. Your domain was on the high seas;your builders brought your beauty to perfection.
5. They made all your timbersof juniper from Senir;they took a cedar from Lebanonto make a mast for you.
6. Of oaks from Bashanthey made your oars;of cypress wood from the coasts of Cyprusthey made your deck, adorned with ivory.
7. Fine embroidered linen from Egypt was your sailand served as your banner;your awnings were of blue and purplefrom the coasts of Elishah.
8. Men of Sidon and Arvad were your oarsmen;your skilled men, Tyre, were aboard as your sailors.
9. Veteran craftsmen of Byblos were on boardas shipwrights to caulk your seams.All the ships of the sea and their sailorscame alongside to trade for your wares.
10. ‘ “Men of Persia, Lydia and Putserved as soldiers in your army.They hung their shields and helmets on your walls,bringing you splendour.
11. Men of Arvad and Helekguarded your walls on every side;men of Gammadwere in your towers.They hung their shields around your walls;they brought your beauty to perfection.
12. ‘ “Tarshish did business with you because of your great wealth of goods; they exchanged silver, iron, tin and lead for your merchandise.
13. ‘ “Greece, Tubal and Meshek did business with you; they traded human beings and articles of bronze for your wares.
14. ‘ “Men of Beth Togarmah exchanged chariot horses, cavalry horses and mules for your merchandise.
15. ‘ “The men of Rhodes traded with you, and many coastlands were your customers; they paid you with ivory tusks and ebony.
16. ‘ “Aram did business with you because of your many products; they exchanged turquoise, purple fabric, embroidered work, fine linen, coral and rubies for your merchandise.
17. ‘ “Judah and Israel traded with you; they exchanged wheat from Minnith and confections, honey, olive oil and balm for your wares.
18. ‘ “Damascus did business with you because of your many products and great wealth of goods. They offered wine from Helbon, wool from Zahar
19. and casks of wine from Izal in exchange for your wares: wrought iron, cassia and calamus.
20. ‘ “Dedan traded in saddle blankets with you.
21. ‘ “Arabia and all the princes of Kedar were your customers; they did business with you in lambs, rams and goats.
22. ‘ “The merchants of Sheba and Raamah traded with you; for your merchandise they exchanged the finest of all kinds of spices and precious stones, and gold.
23. ‘ “Harran, Kanneh and Eden and merchants of Sheba, Ashur and Kilmad traded with you.
24. In your market-place they traded with you beautiful garments, blue fabric, embroidered work and multicoloured rugs with cords twisted and tightly knotted.
25. ‘ “The ships of Tarshish serveas carriers for your wares.You are filled with heavy cargoas you sail the sea.
26. Your oarsmen take youout to the high seas.But the east wind will break you to piecesfar out at sea.
27. Your wealth, merchandise and wares,your mariners, sailors and shipwrights,your merchants and all your soldiers,and everyone else on boardwill sink into the heart of the seaon the day of your shipwreck.
28. The shorelands will quakewhen your sailors cry out.
29. All who handle the oarswill abandon their ships;the mariners and all the sailorswill stand on the shore.
30. They will raise their voiceand cry bitterly over you;they will sprinkle dust on their headsand roll in ashes.
31. They will shave their heads because of youand will put on sackcloth.They will weep over you with anguish of souland with bitter mourning.
32. As they wail and mourn over you,they will take up a lament concerning you:‘Who was ever silenced like Tyre,surrounded by the sea?’
33. When your merchandise went out on the seas,you satisfied many nations;with your great wealth and your waresyou enriched the kings of the earth.
34. Now you are shattered by the seain the depths of the waters;your wares and all your companyhave gone down with you.
35. All who live in the coastlandsare appalled at you;their kings shudder with horrorand their faces are distorted with fear.
36. The merchants among the nations scoff at you;you have come to a horrible endand will be no more.” ’