1. ‘Take up a lament concerning the princes of Israel
2. and say:‘ “What a lioness was your motheramong the lions!She lay down among themand reared her cubs.
3. She brought up one of her cubs,and he became a strong lion.He learned to tear the preyand he became a man-eater.
4. The nations heard about him,and he was trapped in their pit.They led him with hooksto the land of Egypt.
5. ‘ “When she saw her hope unfulfilled,her expectation gone,she took another of her cubsand made him a strong lion.
6. He prowled among the lions,for he was now a strong lion.He learned to tear the preyand he became a man-eater.
7. He broke down their strongholdsand devastated their towns.The land and all who were in itwere terrified by his roaring.
8. Then the nations came against him,those from regions round about.They spread their net for him,and he was trapped in their pit.
9. With hooks they pulled him into a cageand brought him to the king of Babylon.They put him in prison,so his roar was heard no longeron the mountains of Israel.
10. ‘ “Your mother was like a vine in your vineyardplanted by the water;it was fruitful and full of branchesbecause of abundant water.
11. Its branches were strong,fit for a ruler’s sceptre.It towered highabove the thick foliage,conspicuous for its heightand for its many branches.
12. But it was uprooted in furyand thrown to the ground.The east wind made it shrivel,it was stripped of its fruit;its strong branches witheredand fire consumed them.
13. Now it is planted in the desert,in a dry and thirsty land.
14. Fire spread from one of its main branchesand consumed its fruit.No strong branch is left on itfit for a ruler’s sceptre.”‘This is a lament and is to be used as a lament.’