1. But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,
2. by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron,
3. men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.
4. For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude;
5. for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.
6. In pointing out these things to the brethren, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, constantly nourished on the words of the faith and of the sound doctrine which you have been following.
7. But have nothing to do with worldly fables fit only for old women. On the other hand, discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness;
8. for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
9. It is a trustworthy statement deserving full acceptance.
10. For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers.
11. Prescribe and teach these things.
12. Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe.
13. Until I come, give attention to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation and teaching.
14. Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you, which was bestowed on you through prophetic utterance with the laying on of hands by the presbytery.
15. Take pains with these things; be absorbed in them, so that your progress will be evident to all.
16. Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in these things, for as you do this you will ensure salvation both for yourself and for those who hear you.