21. Therefore thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will lay stumblingblocks before this people, and the fathers and the sons together shall fall upon them; the neighbour and his friend shall perish.
22. Thus saith the Lord, Behold, a people cometh from the north country, and a great nation shall be raised from the sides of the earth.
23. They shall lay hold on bow and spear; they are cruel, and have no mercy; their voice roareth like the sea; and they ride upon horses, set in array as men for war against thee, O daughter of Zion.
24. We have heard the fame thereof: our hands wax feeble: anguish hath taken hold of us, and pain, as of a woman in travail.
25. Go not forth into the field, nor walk by the way; for the sword of the enemy and fear is on every side.
26. O daughter of my people, gird thee with sackcloth, and wallow thyself in ashes: make thee mourning, as for an only son, most bitter lamentation: for the spoiler shall suddenly come upon us.
27. I have set thee for a tower and a fortress among my people, that thou mayest know and try their way.
28. They are all grievous revolters, walking with slanders: they are brass and iron; they are all corrupters.
29. The bellows are burned, the lead is consumed of the fire; the founder melteth in vain: for the wicked are not plucked away.
30. Reprobate silver shall men call them, because the Lord hath rejected them.