1. The word of the Lord that came to Jeremiah concerning the dearth.
2. Judah mourneth, and the gates thereof languish; they are black unto the ground; and the cry of Jerusalem is gone up.
3. And their nobles have sent their little ones to the waters: they came to the pits, and found no water; they returned with their vessels empty; they were ashamed and confounded, and covered their heads.
4. Because the ground is chapt, for there was no rain in the earth, the plowmen were ashamed, they covered their heads.
5. Yea, the hind also calved in the field, and forsook it, because there was no grass.
6. And the wild asses did stand in the high places, they snuffed up the wind like dragons; their eyes did fail, because there was no grass.